Thursday, December 20, 2012

Almond Joy Bars


Almond Joys are up there in my Top 5 favorite candy bars. Love them. When I came across this recipe for Almond Joy Bars on Pinterest I knew I had to try them. I had a cookie exchange coming up--Perfect! I could make them, take most to the cookie exchange, and not end up eating the whole pan myself (minus the 1 each I'd allow my family).

The original recipe was for a sheet-pan's worth of bars, but I didn't need that much, so I cut it in half and used a 9x13-inch pan. Also, if you notice, there are no almonds in the original recipe (which means they should really be called "Mounds" bars). So I added some slivered almonds to the top. The bars went together really fast and easy, and are super-fantastic. The only other thing I changed was to add a little Crisco to the melted chocolate to make it easier to spread and cut through after the bars cooled.


Almond Joy Bars (adapted from Our Recipe Garden)
printable recipe

1/3 cup butter, room temperature
1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 14-oz package shredded coconut
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 12-oz package semi-sweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
1/2 cup sliced almonds

1. Heat your oven to 350. Line a 9x13-inch pan with foil, 2 ends extended over the sides to make handles, and spray it lightly with non-stick spray.

2. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the flour and salt, and mix until it resembled bread crumbs. Transfer to the prepared pan and press into an even layer. Bake for 5 minutes and set aside.

3. In a medium bowl, combine the coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla. Gently spread over the partially cooked crust, and bake for 16-18 minutes, or until starting to brown around the outside. (I let mine cook a little too long.)

4. Melt the chocolate and shortening in a double boiler, stirring until melted and smooth. Pour over the cooked coconut bars and spread into an even layer. Immediately sprinkle with sliced almonds. Cool completely in the refrigerator to allow the chocolate to set and make cutting easier.

5. To cut, use the foil handles to lift the bars out of the pan and onto a cutting board. Use a sharp knife to cut  them into 24 bars. Serve room temperature for best quality.

Makes 24 bars.



2 comments:

  1. These really look delicious, Tiffiny. I stopped by to wish you a Merry Christmas and I'm leaving with a recipe in Hand. There is no hope for me :-). Have a wonderful holiday. Hugs and Christmas blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! And Merry Christmas to you, too! :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...