Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Hummus


So, I've tried to sit and write this post several times but my writing-mojo just hasn't been flowing. It still isn't, so here's a quick run-down:

  • It took me a long time to try hummus because I thought it was too weird. When I finally did try it I was amazed by how delicious it was, and then I cursed myself for being so lame and refusing to try it for so long. It's great in a wrap or as a dip.
  • Sometimes for dinner I'll make hummus and serve it with various dipping things (cut veggies and pita wedges), and some fruit, and it's fabulous and satisfying.
  • My almost 16-year old daughter will take left-over hummus and dippables to school for lunch, and report that everyone around her was jealous (I would be, too, given the other lunch-room choices kids have).
  • This version has less fat than typical hummus because I replace some of the olive oil with reserved garbanzo bean juice. Feel free to use all olive oil, or whatever olive oil/reserved bean juice ratio you like. Also feel free to add additional olive oil/bean juice to achieve the consistency you want. We like our hummus on the thick side.
  • Some recipes say you can substitute creamy peanut butter for the tahini. Don't. Tahini is sesame seed paste, and you will not get the same fantastic flavor if you use peanut butter. Tahini stores in the fridge for a long time.
There you have it. Quick and dirty. Hopefully my next post will be a little more...fluffy...and entertaining ;)

The tahini I bought most recently came in a tin with a plastic snap-on lid which tore when I opened it, (nice.) so I have it in a glass mason jar. The oil will separate as it sits in the fridge, so stir it well before you use it.

Hummus
printable recipe

2 15-oz cans garbonzo beans, drained, 1/2-cup liquid reserved
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
3 cloves garlic
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons olive oil

1. Combine all ingredients, except the reserved bean liquid and olive oil, in a food processor bowl fitted with a metal blade.


2. Pulse three times (3-5 seconds each pulse), and scrape down the sides of the bowl. With the processor running, add the olive oil, and 4-6 tablespoons of the reserved bean liquid. Run the processor until the hummus is very smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl at least once.


Makes 2 1/2 cups hummus. Store any extra in your fridge.
1/4 cup = 3 Weight Watchers Plus Points

Yum! So delicious! 
lol...this is a Where's-Waldo picture...do you see it?


2 comments:

  1. Ha ha, yep, I see you taking the photo, in the spoon:) I already like hummus. I need to make my own too. It looks so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What store have you found tahini in, and what section?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...