Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Do you know Pero?


When my husband first brought home a canister of Pero I thought it was weird and yucky (of course, I hadn't tasted it). He liked to drink it at night when he wanted something kind of coffee-like, but that wouldn't keep him from sleeping. Pffft! Way too weird. I mean, look what's in it: barley, malted barley, chicory, and rye. It was months later when I finally let him make me a mug. And I liked it! I really should have known better--this is not the first time I've poo-poo'ed something my husband liked, only to find out it was yummy when I finally tasted it.


Pero is an instant hot beverage, though you can pour it over ice cubes and have iced Pero. Like coffee or tea, you can have it straight, with sugar, with milk, or with both. My husband likes it with just milk, I like mine with a little bit of sugar and a little bit of milk. Also like coffee or tea, it goes remarkably well with breakfast and sweet things, which may or may not include Hershey Kisses that I eat in the pantry so my kids don't see what I'm doing.

We keep a plastic spoon in the canister (is that totally lowbrow?) and use it to measure out the powder. I use about 1 1/2 heaping spoonfulls, which is about 2 teaspoons. But really, how much you use is up to you and how strong you want your beverage.


This is how I make my Pero:

1 1/4 cup boiling water
1 1/2-2 teaspoons Pero
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup milk

Put the Pero and sugar in your mug. Add the boiling water and stir. Add the milk and enjoy!

Look for Pero in the coffee and tea section of your grocery store (we get ours at Target).

10 comments:

  1. My mom is a diehard Pero addict and has to keep a container in my house for when she comes over (she lives around the corner).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandma used to drink Postum. I imagine it was similar in flavor to Pero, but I don't know for sure because it apparently was discontinued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been a fan of Pero for thirty some years!! Yikes .. I feel so old! A favorite way my husband and I like to drink it is 1 tsp. Pero, 1 tsp. of your favoite hot chocolate mix, 1/4 tsp. vanilla and a light sprinkle of cinnamon. It's a nice desert in the evening hours. (Adore your blog)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo...mixing it with the hot chocolate mix sounds really good! I'm going to have to try that :) And thanks for your sweet words...sometimes I wonder if there's anyone out there ;) Take care!

      Delete
    2. Tiffiny I bet you'd be surprised at how many check your blog. I'm checking at least once a week..I'm usually drooling all over my key board when I'm here!

      Delete
    3. Dear Tiffany,

      I am enjoying your blog from Tokyo! Your high spirit and your sense of humor uplift me. Keep up the good work!

      Delete
    4. lol...Thanks, Susan! :D @Ohina, all the way in Tokyo!? The internet is an amazing thing! Thanks so you, too! :D

      Delete
  4. I just found your site on foodblogs.com so I thought I would stop by and take a peek. I just subscribed to your blog feed and can't wait to see what your next post will be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! And thanks for stopping over for a look! :) I think Hummus will be my next post--unless it gets hijacked by something delicious I have to share ;) Hope to hear from you again!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...