Thursday, February 2, 2012

Banana-Coconut Donuts with Peanut Butter Icing

Pin It

I promised my Facebook fans I'd have this recipe up on Monday. It's now almost Friday. It's amazing to me how the days go by so fast! I'm sure it's the same reason my kids have no real concept of time. I'll tell them, "5 more minutes!", and if I don't set a timer, that five minutes easily becomes 20 or 30 minutes. Then, when I actually do keep track of the five minutes they don't believe me: "What?? That's not 5 minutes!" Well...actually it is...this time...

So! I had some black bananas to convert into something delicious, and my Facebook fans gave me some great and tasty ideas for using them up. But I couldn't get "banana donut" out of my head. I looked up several recipes and none of them really looked that great to me, so I took a stab at working out my own recipe.

They turned out with a really nice flavor, and the peanut butter icing was amazing, but I couldn't decide how I felt about the shape; they were a little flatter than I would have liked. I think I'll have to get a cake-donut pan and try the recipe again. You know, for research.

Notes: Make sure you weigh the powdered sugar; it's almost impossible to get accurate measurements of powder sugar with measuring cups because it is so fine, and it clumps and gets compacted. If you have to measure with a cup, whisk the sugar well first, and then measure. 1/4 of a pound is about 1 cup.

This is the best way I've found to get a good, even mash on ripe bananas.

Banana-Coconut Donuts with Peanut Butter Icing
printable recipe

for the donuts:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup flake coconut
4 very ripe bananas, mashed very well
3 eggs
1/4 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla

for the peanut butter icing:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 pound powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1. Heat your oven to 425. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat liners.

2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and coconut; mix well and set aside.


3. In a medium bowl, combine the mashed banana, eggs, oil, and vanilla. Add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Let the batter sit for 15 minutes.


4. Use a muffin scoop, or 1/4-cup measuring cup, to scoop the batter onto the prepared baking sheets; I put 6 on each sheet. Use a skinny spatula to make a 3/4-inch hole in the middle. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until slightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the donut comes out clean. Cool completely.


5. Combine the butter and peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl (I used a glass 2-cup measuring cup), and heat on medium heat for one minute. Stir and repeat in 30 second intervals until the butter and peanut butter are completely melted. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and whisk until very smooth.


6. Drizzle the icing on the donuts and allow to set.

Makes 22 donuts.


1 comment:

  1. I love the peanut and banana combination when making ice cream. I haven't tried baking them together into muffins or donuts. Thanks for this lovely post. I surely can't wait to try making these.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...