Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Dangerous Ginger Snaps

Ginger Snaps are in my top 5 favorite cookies (though I do like them soft and not crisp, which may make them technically not a "snap"). So I was thrilled when I found these cookies at a bake sale my friend's teenage son hosted last Saturday. Her son is raising money for teen-centered LDS humanitarian group, AYS. He'll travel to Brazil next summer with the group and do all sorts of great things.

The cookies are my idea of the perfect ginger snap: just barely crisp on the outside, still moist and chewy on the inside, and with a deep molasses flavor that's just sweet enough. I made the mistake of buying them before eating lunch and half the package was gone by the time I got back home.

Last week's bake sale was just the first of several things they have planned to raise money for AYS and his trip. I'm always so impressed when teenagers get involved in causes bigger than their small, immediate world. Thanks, Kristen, for raising such a great kid, and thanks for the delicious--and dangerous--cookies!

Dangerous Ginger Snaps (from Kristen Flandro)
Printable Recipe

1 1/2 cups vegetable shortening
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup molasses
2 eggs
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ginger
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon (she likes a bit more)
1 teaspoon table salt
granulated sugar for baking

1. Heat your oven to 350 and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. Cream together the shortening, sugar, molasses. Add the eggs and mix well. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate the dough for a while if it seems too soft, or in between baking batches.

3. Form dough into tablespoon-sized balls and in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets and bake for about 10 minutes.

Makes about 48 cookies.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sitting here drinking my morning coffee wishing I had a few of your gingersnap cookies. If it wasn't so warm here right now I would be tempted to turn on the oven and bake a batch.

    Great photos.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are my husband's #1 favorite cookie, and I like them too! We like them the way you described:) They look so good! I'll have to try this version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE this recipe!! (and I also LOVE your blog!) When I cooked these they didn't look as pretty as your because they didn't turn out as dark...any ideas why? I blogged them on my blog if you'd like to check it out. Thanks again...LOVE THEM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jana & Kyla, Thanks for your sweet comment! I'm so glad you made them :) As for the color, it could simply be the lighting in my pictures that make them look dark...I don't remember them being especially dark. lol...my mouth is watering looking at the pictures :) Maybe I need to make some on this super-cold day :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...