Thursday, December 24, 2009

Taco Soup

It's Christmas Eve, and I have a terrible head cold. Someones horrid sense of humor? Who knows, but I'm feeling pretty awful. I really wanted some soup last night, but I needed a recipe I could make fast. I ended up making this Taco Soup. It's very fast, very easy, and very filling (and didn't require very much thought). I also loved it because everything came from my pantry (except the sour cream). If I'd had some cilantro in the fridge I would have added a few tablespoons of that at the end, too. I made some cornbread and called it dinner.

You can use store-bought taco seasoning, but I used the homemade taco seasoning I got from Closet Cooking. I was surprised how spicy the soup was, since when I use it for taco meat it doesn't seem especially spicy. The spicyness made my daughter's nose run, but it was great for me because it cleared up my stuffy nose for a few minutes. And that was very nice :)

Taco Soup

1 lb lean ground beef
1 onion, diced (about 1 cup)
2 recipes homemade taco seasoning, see below (or 2 packets taco seasoning)
2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 15-oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups frozen corn
2 32-oz cartons chicken broth
sour cream, if desired

1. Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add ground beef, and cook and crumble it until it's no longer pink; drain any fat. Add the onion and cook until it's softened, about 5 minutes. Add the taco seasoning, mixing it in well, and cook for 2 minutes.

2. Add the tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, corn, and chicken broth. Bring it all to a simmer over medium-high heat, cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with the sour cream.

Note: this made a giant pot of soup, and was great for left-over lunch today. If you want less soup, you can easily halve the recipe.

Closet Cooking's Homemade Taco Seasoning
(use 2 recipes for this soup)

1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons flour (this is my addition)

6 comments:

  1. I love taco salad, so this soup looks and sounds awesome! I cant wait to try this recipe. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling better! The soup looks fantastic~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, that looks awesome! Thanks for sharing.
    Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the well wishes, everyone! I do believe I'm beginning to feel better...Must have been the soup ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a delicious remedy for a cold! A friend of mine just the other day was talking about taco soup--I'd never heard of it, and here it is. Photo is great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another winner and with a kick! We loved it!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...