Monday, December 7, 2009

Greek Tomato-Feta Fritters

These were my first fritters and I worried the whole time I wasn't doing them right. Are fritters really just pancakes with stuff in them?

I got this recipe from Kevin of Closet Cooking. Kevin consistently posts recipes and pictures that look amazing and delicious. I love that he uses a lot of different whole gains and that he likes to use seasonal produce from his local farmer's market as much as he can. Kevin is awesome, and if you haven't been to his blog, you should go there right after you read this post :)

This is the first of Kevin's recipes I've tried. I love tomato and feta, and having never made fritters before, I was intrigued by the fritterness of them. Funny thing, you know how once you decide to buy a particular type of car you start to see them everywhere you go? After I made these fritters I started to notice fritter recipes all over the web; banana fritters, corn fritters, sweet potato fritters... It was like there was a Secret World of Fritter hidden in plain site, and I'd just never seen it before. Well, I'm in the know now ;)

Before we get to the recipe, I have to share an amusing screw-up on my end. The recipe calls for fine bulgur wheat. When I read it, I saw barley. I had some barley in my pantry, so I threw it into my wheat grinder, and, voila! I had ground barley. It wasn't until much later (days) I realized my rather large mistake. But...barley, bulgur, barley, bulgur...it's all the same, right? And they were super tasty! :)

Greek Tomato-Feta Fritters (adapted from Closet Cooking)
printable recipe

1 pound tomatoes, seeded and chopped (he says to peel them, but I refuse to peel tomatoes)
4 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
4 ounces crumbled feta
1/4 cup herbs (he suggests parsley, dill, and mint. I used a rounded tablespoon of each one)
2 green onions, sliced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon paprika
2 eggs
1/4 cup fine bulgur wheat (or ground barley if you want to live dangerously)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup whole wheat flour, plus extra if needed
2 tablespoons olive oil

1. In a medium bowl, mix together everything except the oil. I ended up using about 1 1/2 cups of wheat flour. Being my first fritter, I wasn't sure what the mixture should look like. I stopped at 1 1/2 cups because it didn't seem to be getting as thick as I thought it would, and I didn't want to keep adding more and have them just taste like flour.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet and heat it over medium heat until hot (to test it, drop a small blob of the mixture onto the pan; it should sizzle and pop as soon as it hits the oil). Spoon the mixture onto the pan and gently spread it to rough round shapes. Make them as big or small as you want; I made mine fairly large, but I think they would make great appetizers if you made them small...a little dollop of tzatziki on top of each one...

3. Cook the fritters until they are golden brown on the first side, 4-6 minutes. Then carefully flip them over and cook them another 4 minutes on the second side. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the pan and repeat with the rest of the mixture. I got 8, 4-inch'ish fritters from the recipe. I served them with my Tzatziki (yum!).


4 comments:

  1. They look great Tiff! I made some tomato fritters over the summer and really enjoyed them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fritter look like they turned out great! I will have to try the ground barley version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fritters look perfect! This is a super recipe- copying now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are some fine fritters indeed--they're the perfect vehicle for some lusciously creamy tzatziki!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send any questions or comments you may have :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...